KEEPING OUR PERSPECTIVE

KEEPING OUR PERSPECTIVE
Family Reunion by Laverne Ross

Monday, August 11, 2008

IN MEMORIAM: ISAAC HAYES 1942-2008


I was with a friend attending the Long Beach Jazz Festival when I recieved the sad news of the passing of Isaac Hayes yesterday. I have been a fan of his music for many years, in fact next to James Brown he is my favorite artist.

He basically redfined the way artists make records and he smashed the time limit barrier by making many of his songs past the ten minute mark. His introductory raps, particulary on his romantic cuts were masterpieces and definitely influenced Barry White and a host of other artists in his wake. The songs are legendary: "Walk on By", By the Time I Get to Phoenix", "I Stand Accused", "The Look Of Love", "Never Can Say Goodbye", "Joy", "Don't Let Go" and of course "The Theme From Shaft". These songs will last forever and will be played for decades to come.

I plan on gathering all of my albums and CD's of Isaac and play them considerably. What albums and CD's I don't have I will get this week.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his wife, children, family and his many friends. Farewell "Black Moses", may your incredible spirit be embraced on the other side. God bless.

No comments: