KEEPING OUR PERSPECTIVE

KEEPING OUR PERSPECTIVE
Family Reunion by Laverne Ross

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

MR. SHADOW'S FINAL VERDICT ON "BLACK IN AMERICA"

I'm a week late on this subject so let's get to it. On CNN'S "Black in America" series, here is Mr. Shadow's quick capsule review: PIECE OF SH***!

Now in my harsh assessment of the program, believe it or not I see a glass half full scenario here. It has gotten people talking, debating and condemning the program. Many people that I talked to had positive things to say about it. One of them was my father. He was moved to tears and told myself and my younger sisiers that he was proud of us. So I don't call it POS just off the top of my head.

Unfortunately, what I saw was just repeated information, misinformation and images that gave the wrong impression.

Still I hope that this will give us incentive to tell our story the right way and to contantly push for positive images of our people to counteract the ills.

I have to give kudos to Mr. Earl Graves, the publisher and Founder of Black Enterprise who went on Steve Harvey's radio show and criticized the series. This he did in a methodical and dignified manner. I have to give additional kudos to Steve for having the subject on his show and taking calls on it.

Well that's Mr. Shadow's final words on the subject. I think it is time to move on.

Here are some views on the series by my fellow bloggers:

Professor Tracey at Aunt Jemima's Revenge

Ms. Gina at What About Our Daughters

Symphony at Essential Presence

Tami at What Tami Said

Single Ma at Fabulous Financials

The most in depth assessment by far was by Sister Lisa at BlackWomenBlowtheTrumpet

Well that's all for now.

2 comments:

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hey there!!

Awwwww... thanks for the kind words!

(smiles)
Lisa

Kit (Keep It Trill) said...

Hold up, Mr. Shadow! I ran across this post tonight, and I think you and your readers will love it. The blogger wrote it in response to Black In America. It should win an award.

White In America: The Never To Be Made TV Documentary