KEEPING OUR PERSPECTIVE

KEEPING OUR PERSPECTIVE
Family Reunion by Laverne Ross

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

A LESSON OF LIFE: LEARN TO GIVE TO OTHERS

In my vocation as a teacher, I always tell my students that what they will learn will come not just from books but from life. It is my way of trying to prepare them for what lies ahead for them when they turn 18 in about four years. Well in teaching them about giving back to those less fortunate I gave my students an assignment to bring in at least 5 canned goods.

Unfortunately up to this point only a few students have completed this assignment. I basically chewed them out and implored them to stop thinking of themselves and to think about others who aren't as fortunate as they are. Hopefully by the end of the week they will have done the assignment but I hope they learn the lesson of giving back to others.

This is something that I intend to do myself not just for this holiday season but all year long. So let us all find some worthwhile charities to contribute to and let us give back to others.

No comments: