KEEPING OUR PERSPECTIVE

KEEPING OUR PERSPECTIVE
Family Reunion by Laverne Ross

Monday, November 26, 2007

AFTER THANKSGIVING MUSINGS: BEING THANKFUL AND WANTING TO HELP OTHERS

What a week! I finished the papers and had one of the best Thanksgiving holidays I have ever had. However, I also contemplated what I was thankful for in my life.
I am thankful for:
  • My life: I thank the creator of the universe everyday for getting me up and allowing me to continue the pursuit of my goals and dreams. I have broken the stereotype of the Black Man in America. I'm not dead, not on drugs, haven't gotten several women pregnant and in need and finally I am not in jail. I don't have any diseases and I am in relatively good health. I will be 34 years old in January and I'm looking forward to it.
  • My family: Both of my parents are still living and I thank the creator for that as well. My 16 year old twin sisters are doing well in school and my brother seems to be doing well. I am thankful of the opportunity to improve my relationships with my other family members.
  • My career: I love being a teacher and am thankful of the chance to help my students to become better academically and as better people. I am grateful to have the chance to pursue my dream of reaching the status of being a successfully working actor and entertainer.

I also mused on what I could do to help others during this holiday season and beyond. These include:

  • Giving money to the Dunbar Village Fund and getting others to do so
  • Having a canned food drive for the homeless at my school
  • Begin a letter writing campaign and have children send drawings and letters to the Dunbar victim and her son. Also to other victims of these types of crimes.

These ars just a few ideas that have popped in my mind. There will be more.

So in the words of the classic William DeVaughan song, "Be Thankful for What You Got"

Mr. Shadow signing off

No comments: