KEEPING OUR PERSPECTIVE

KEEPING OUR PERSPECTIVE
Family Reunion by Laverne Ross

Thursday, January 14, 2010

IN MEMORIAM: TEDDY PENDERGRASS

Man, the Teddy Bear, the icon of silky R&B soul music made his transition Wednesday at a Philadelphia hospital, he was 59. This one hurts because I grew up with this man's music and played it quite frequently. My slow jam collection that I would play for a date was not complete unless it included several of his classics, The Whole Town's Laughing at Me, Close the Door, Come Go With Me, Love TKO, Feel the Fire and my personal favorite Turn out the Lights. His work the Blue Notes should not be overlooked either and it presents a package of the complete singer that others who want to get into the business should emulate. I mean just for the standing room ladies only concerts alone will keep him in the hall of fame.

Farewell, Teddy and may your journey to the other side be as pleasurable as the timeless music you gave us.

No comments: