KEEPING OUR PERSPECTIVE

KEEPING OUR PERSPECTIVE
Family Reunion by Laverne Ross

Friday, May 30, 2008

IN MEMORIAM: ORGAN MASTER JIMMY MCGRIFF


I was very sad to here the news that one of the masters of the Hammond B-3 organ, Jimmy McGriff passed away this past Saturday. In fact in a spiritual coincidence, on Saturday I was playing my "Best of Jimmy McGriff" CD in my car totally unaware that he had passed away. So unknowingly in spirit I was giving tribute to this great artist. I just loved listening to his music which was always funky, tinged with gospel and always had a strong ingredient of the blues. In fact, he always referred to himself as a blues musician. For me the true master of the Hammond B-3 along with Jimmy Smith of course, will always be Jimmy McGriff. Listen to tracks like "I Got a Woman", "The Worm", "Criss-Cross", "Dig On It", "Bug Out" and "Groove Grease" for just a sample of the musical genius that was and forever will be Jimmy McGriff.

No comments: