KEEPING OUR PERSPECTIVE

KEEPING OUR PERSPECTIVE
Family Reunion by Laverne Ross

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

TRIBUTE TO A GREAT OFFICER AND EVEN BETTER INDIVIDUAL: HONORING OFFICER RANDALL SIMMONS


I writing this rather late in terms of newsworthiness but this is not strictly a news blog so I am not constricted by time. As most of you know who live not only in the Los Angeles area but the state of California, LAPD SWAT Officer Randall Simmons was killed in the line of duty about two weeks ago.
I was saddened to her of it but that was before I found out more about this man. Yes, he is the first SWAT Officer to die in the line of duty but I am more taken with how this man lived. This man who was a devout Christian, never separated that from his job. A man who on his off hours would go into neighborhoods and mentor teenagers and from all accounts was the most kindest, dependable people you would want to know. This is why his funeral service this past friday was attended by numerous officials from the mayor, the governor, political leaders and countless law officers from as far away as Isreal. It was the largest funeral for a law officer in California's history and I am told the largest in the world.
I am still saddened. Why? Because I did not know of this exemplary man when he was still alive. I think that we all need to find the Randall Simmons' in our neighborhood and not only help them but let them know that we love and appreciate them for what they are doing. Hopefully in doing this we won't have to wait until a person is no longer living in order to nominate them. We owe it to people like Officer Simmons and to ourselves.
I salute and honor you Officer Randall Simmons. May I one day have the positive impact that you have and continue to have on people's lives. I look forward to meeting you on the other plane of existence. May the Creator of the Universe continue to heap blessings upon you.

No comments: